Requirements: Varies with device
Overview: VLC media player is a free and open source cross-platform
multimedia player that plays most multimedia files as well as discs,
devices, and network streaming protocols.
This is the port of VLC media player to the Android™ platform. VLC for
Android can play most video and audio files, as well as network streams
and DVD ISOs, like the desktop version of VLC.
VLC for Android is also a full audio player, with a complete database,
an equalizer and filters, playing all weird audio formats.
VLC is intended for everyone, is totally free, has no ads, no
in-app-purchases, no spying and is developed by passionate volunteers.
All the source code is available for free.
VLC for Android™ plays most local video and audio files, as well as
network streams (including adaptive streaming), DVD ISOs, like the
desktop version of VLC.
All formats are supported, including MKV, MP4, AVI, MOV, Ogg, FLAC, TS,
M2TS, Wv and AAC. All codecs are included with no separate downloads.
VLC for Android has a media library for audio and video files, and allows to browse folders directly.
VLC has support for multi-track audio and subtitles. It supports
auto-rotation, aspect-ratio adjustments and gestures to control volume,
brightness and seeking.
It also includes a widget for audio control, supports audio headsets control, cover art and a complete audio media library.
This version is for all devices except ARMv6 devices. They will be supported in a future release.
VLC for Android needs access to :
• “Device & app History” to be able to read logs, to help understand crashes and issues, so we can improve VLC.
• “Photos/Media/Files” to read your all media files
• “Device ID & call information” in order to pause music/video during incoming and outgoing phone calls.
• “Other” to check network connections and hide the streaming parts when needed.
Permission Details :
• It needs “read phone status an identity”, in order to pause music during outgoing and incoming calls.
• It needs “read the contents of your USB storage”, in to order to read your media files on it.
• It needs “modify or delete the contents of your USB storage”, in order to allow deletion of files.
• It needs “full network access”, to open network and internet streams.
• It needs “control vibration”, in order to provide UI feedback when seeking in the video and audio players.
• It needs “prevent phone from sleeping” in order to prevent… your phone from sleeping when watching a video.
• It needs “change your audio settings”, in order to change audio volume.
• It needs “modify system settings”, in order to allow you to change your audio ringtone.
• It needs “view network connections” in order to monitor whether device is connected or not, to hide the streaming parts.
– For Android TV app only:
• It needs “record audio ” for audio search using your microphone.
• It needs “to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after
the system finishes booting” to set recommendations on Android TV
VLC on Android 1.6.0 is a major update to VLC
We’ve worked a lot to improve the internal decoding speed and the
interface speed, and at the same time, prepare for Android 6.0.
The number of permissions needed were reduced, especially for KitKat (4.4) and more recent.
We’ve accelerated the video playback speed, for 4K support.
The interface was cleaned and speeded up, with more Material look.
And a few new features, like USB auto-detection, better audio/video sync or better chapters support.
This app has no advertisements